Current Employment Opportunities
P&A is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
POSITION: Legal Director
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
DATE: April 27, 2020
SALARY RANGE: $85,000-$95,000, based on litigation and/or supervisory experience
AGENCY DESCRIPTION: Protection and Advocacy for People with Disabilities (P&A) advances the civil rights of people with disabilities by focusing on systemic barriers using a wide array of legal advocacy strategies, which includes individual and systemic litigation. We maximize our impact and resources by concentrating on changing systems, laws and policies to bring about significant and lasting improvement for a large number of people with disabilities. This includes class action litigation, which has targeted mental health services for inmates, incarceration of youth with serious mental illness and developmental disabilities, and institutionalization of people with mental illness. Currently, P&A focuses its work in the areas of mental health, community integration, education, employment, and public accommodations. P&A is the designated protection and advocacy system for the state of South Carolina, federally mandated to advance the civil, legal and human rights of people with disabilities.
POSITION PURPOSE AND OBJECTIVES: The Legal Director will serve on the leadership team and report to the Executive Director. The Legal Director will oversee, coordinate and monitor P&A’s legal advocacy work, including individual and systemic litigation, based on approved goals and priorities. The Legal Director will be responsible for litigation development, systemic advocacy, and management of legal staff.
- Develop, manage and supervise P&A’s individual and systemic litigation:
- Identify litigation opportunities across the
- Ensure ongoing development of litigation on disability rights
- Oversee all aspects of P&A’s litigation activities, including investigation, research, discovery, motion practice, trial work, and appellate practice.
- Review pleadings, briefs, letters, and
- Develop and expand collaborations with partner organizations and private firms in South Carolina and across the country on litigation and other systems-change
- Assist the Executive Director in developing and implementing P&A’s priorities, including the development of litigation strategies.
- In accordance with P&A’s goals, priorities and in consultation with leadership team, determine cases to be opened and assigned to P&A
- Coordinate legal advocacy efforts with P&A’s public policy team.
- Participate on local, state and national Boards, committees, councils to address program issues.
- Cultivate collaborative working relationships with other agencies and organizations in the disability and civil rights field.
- Participate in programs that address systemic issues, and fall under P&A’s program areas of work.
- Work collaboratively with the public policy team, outreach team, and other P&A staff as needed to develop content for reports, traditional media, social media and other communication efforts.
Leadership and Supervision:
- Support and supervise a team of attorneys and legal work.
- Ensure high quality representation by attorneys through regular case review, advocacy skills training, and other quality assurance
- Contribute to the development and implementation of organization policies and procedures related to litigation, representation and related
- Regularly report on P&A’s casework to Executive Director and Board of Directors.
- Provide orientation, training, supervision, and evaluation of attorneys as assigned.
- Lead regular meetings of P&A’s legal staff to discuss issues for people with disabilities and develop creative legal
- Stay current with relevant changes in state and federal
- Maintain continuing legal education requirements required by the South Carolina Bar, and attends trainings to maintain and improve or refine advocacy skills and substantive
- Commitment to enforcing and expanding the rights of people with disabilities across South Carolina through individual and systemic litigation.
- Strong analytical and strategic skills and experience developing litigation strategies to advance the law and address systemic
- Juris Doctor from an accredited law school.
- South Carolina Bar license or eligibility to sit for the next exam.
- A minimum of 7 years practicing law with at least 5 years litigation experience, including experience in complex civil
- Exceptional skills in drafting complex briefs, pleadings and motions, conducting depositions, and trial
- Ability to handle routine and complex litigation in state and federal courts, as well as administrative agencies.
- Passion about litigation and the use of litigation to improve the lives of people with
- Experience with class action, major impact, or other systemic litigation.
- Experience in disability law, including, but not limited to Medicaid, special education, the Americans with Disabilities Act and/or other federal or state laws affecting people with
- Three years’ experience in providing direct supervision of attorneys engaged in litigation
To Apply: Send a cover letter expressing your interest in and qualifications for the position, a resume, salary requirements, a description of significant state and federal cases litigated, including your role in them; and a writing sample/brief (not to exceed 30 pages) by e-mail to: Lorie Boddie, Finance and Human Resource Manager at email@example.com.
P&A offers a generous benefits program, including: medical coverage, with optional medical coverage for family, dental, and vision coverage, basic life and short-term disability insurance, with optional additional life, optional long-term disability insurance, flexible spending account, retirement benefits with 5% employer contribution, and work/life balance, that includes a flexible schedule and remote work option.
P&A also pays for professional liability insurance, annual SC Bar dues, and professional development opportunities.
There are 3 ways you can apply for employment opportunities. No phone calls please.
- Mail resume and letter of introduction to: Lorie Boddie, Finance & Human Resource Manager, 3710 Landmark Drive, Suite 208, Columbia, SC 29204
- Fax resume and letter of introduction to: ATTN: Finance & Human Resource Manager, Fax # 803-790-1946
- Email resume and letter of introduction to: Lorie Boddie, Finance & Human Resource Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org