South Carolina Department of Health and Human Services Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) Rule: South Carolina Statewide Transition Plan – Revised
South Carolina Department of Health and Human Services Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) Rule:
South Carolina Statewide Transition Plan – Revised
The South Carolina Department of Health and Human Services (SCDHHS) gives notice that the revised draft Statewide Transition Plan, required per Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) Rule (42 CFR 441.301(c)(6)), is available for public review and comment. The revised South Carolina Statewide Transition Plan will be submitted by or on Oct. 28, 2016. It will be effective upon CMS approval.
The following is a summary of the revisions made in the draft Statewide Transition Plan (last submitted March 31, 2016):
Communication and outreach, renumbered section 2
- Update provided on this public notice and comment period for the Aug. 17, 2016, draft of the Statewide Transition Plan (page 7).
Assessment of system-wide regulations, policies, procedures, licensing standards and other regulations, renumbered section 3
- Systemic Crosswalk reformatted to include language that indicates compliance or non-compliance, remediation actions and timeslines for those acitons. It is no longer Appendix B but incorporated into the narrative (pages 9-27).
- All residential setting self-assessment information moved together to sections 3.5 – 3.8 for easier reading.
- “Ongoing Compliance of System” has been expanded to provider greater detail on ongoing compliance actions (page 30).
Assessment of settings, renumbered section 4
- Updated section 4.2 to include beneficiary survey and family survey information (page 35).
- Updated the timeframe for when individual site visits will occur (page 37).
- Under “Outcomes,” updated the setting types estimated to fall into each of the HCBS Compliance Categories to delineate “AAC, WAC and Unclassified” day program types (table, page 38).
- “Relocation of Waiver Participants” section added current number of beneficiaries that will need to be relocated from non-compliant settings (page 41).
- The timeline for the relocation of waiver participants was clarified (page 42).
- “Ongoing Compliance” has been expanded to provider greater detail on ongoing compliance actions for HCBS settings (page 43).
Heightened Scrutiny, renumbered section 5
- Clarified in section 5.1 the criteria to be used to determine which settings will be subject to the Home and Community-Based (HCB) Settings Quality Review.
- Section 5.8, “next steps,” includes a new introductory section that identifies what information will be used in the review of settings that go through the Quality Review Process. This information will help SCDHHS determine which settings will be submitted to CMS for their Heightened Scrutiny review.
South Carolina Home and Community-Based Services Statewide Transition Plan Timeline
- The timeline was removed to reduce confusion to the reader. All information was incorporated into the narrative.
- Document renumbered to make the “Introduction” section 1; all other sections subsequently renumbered as noted above.
- The following appendices were re-lettered and removed from the main document and placed online (with links to the direct appendices in the document) at the top of this page:
- C4 Day (non-residential) Setting HCBS Self-Assessment (Appendix B)
- C4 Residential Setting HCBS Self-Assessment (Appendix C)
- Non-residential self-assessment Global Analysis (Appendix D)
- Residential self-assessment Global Analysis (Appendix E)
- Relocation Guidelines: Community Residential Care Facility (CRCF) Residents (Appendix F)
- Admissions/Discharges/Transfer of Individuals to/from SCDDSN-Funded Community Residential Settings (Appendix G)
- TAC, Inc. Report: Review and Feedback on the HCBS Final Rule Transition (Appendix H)
SCDHHS will hold a live online webinar to discuss the revised Statewide Transition Plan draft for public input.
Date: Aug. 23, 2016
Time: Noon (will also be recorded for later viewing)
Link: http://www.familyconnectionsc.org/training-connection/ (if link does not work, please copy and paste into a new web page)
SCDHHS will also hold nine (9) regional public meetings to discuss the Statewide Transition Plan for public input. See this schedule, or check our Events page, for the dates and locations of those meetings. All meetings will be from 6 -7 p.m.
A copy of this notice and the revised draft SC HCBS Statewide Transition Plan is available at:
- SCDHHS Main Office (Jefferson Square) 1801 Main Street, Columbia, SC
- SCDHHS County Offices
- CLTC Regional Offices
- Online at scdhhs.gov/public-notices
- Online at https://msp.scdhhs.gov/hcbs/site-page/statewide-transition-plan
Additional information concerning the Statewide Transition Plan is available upon request at the address cited below.
Written comments on the Statewide Transition Plan may be sent to:
Long Term Care and Behavioral Health
ATTN: Kelly Eifert, Ph.D.
South Carolina Department Health and Human Services
P.O. Box 8206
Columbia, South Carolina 29202-8206
Comments may also be submitted to https://msp.scdhhs.gov/hcbs/webform/comments-questions.
All comments must be received by Oct. 7, 2016.